EMSO Time Series Conference 2023
Call for proposals
- Opening of the call: 14th March 2022
- Submission deadline: 8th June 2022 (17:00 CET)
- Feedback to applicants: 8th July 2022
- EMSO Time Series Conference 2023: June-October 2023
2. Objectives of the call
EMSO Time series Conferences (TSCs) demonstrated and developed the capacity of the international scientific community to produce top-quality science using multidisciplinary monitoring ocean data. The TSCs1 are a legacy of the ESONET network (European Seas Observatory NETwork). TSCs are organized by EMSO every two years. The topic of each TSC is determined on the basis of the answers received to a bi-annual call for proposal.
In view of the next TSC, to be held in 2023, EMSO is now launching a call for proposals in order to define the thematic focus area(s) of the conference and to identify the organizing convening team(s) and the venue. Applications are welcome from proponents based in and outside the EU. Suggested venues should be located in Europe.
TSCs typically last three or four days: one/two days of talks, and two days for training. TSCs must focus on time-series analysis and address one or several key research topic(s) within the broad field of marine environmental sciences. The TSC shall help the development of synergies and the exchanges between researchers internationally and across disciplinary boundaries. The training part shall give young researchers and students an opportunity to address their professional and educational needs. Partnerships with other ocean monitoring initiatives for the organization of the TSC are welcome.
The TSC2023 will be an activity realized as part of the United Nations “Ocean Decade” endorsed action “One Ocean Network for Deep Observation “.
EMSO TSCs address the following research areas:
- Marine Geosciences
- Marine Biogeochemistry
- Marine ecology
- Physical oceanography
EMSO TSCs should also address innovative engineering and data management solutions.
3. Evaluation procedure for the proposals
Proposals will be ranked following external review by an ad hoc committee including members of the EMSO ERIC Executive Committee, and of the EMSO ERIC STEAC (Scientific, Technical, and Ethics Advisory Committee). Proponents can suggest specific external reviewers in the submission form.
Key criteria for proposal evaluation will be: 1- Scientific relevance and timeliness.
- Potential for developing synergies between disciplines and across long-term, seafloor and water column monitoring facilities
- Feasibility (organizing team, venue, ..).
EMSO ERIC will provide up to 40 k€ financial support for the organization of the TSC2023. EMSO ERIC will also help the organizing team to seek additional funding if necessary. A suitable person-month commitment of EMSO ERIC personnel will be agreed on with the successful applicants at the start of the conference planning.
The applicants will propose a budget, and any additional funds available from their respective institutions and/or external sources at their disposal.
The proposed budget may include registration fees and should cover:
- Minimum funding for the work of the organizing
- Travel support (flights and hotel rooms) for at least ten invited speakers/trainers, and if possible, travel grants for a minimum of eight students and management of the booking and planning process.
- Funds for the venue, coffee breaks/lunches, and for social events like
- Staff support for on-site assistance like sounds and video presentations.
- The event’s website for the presentation of the event, for registrations and collecting fees with an e-commerce able to accept credit card payments.
- Videoconferencing platform for remote participants (e.g. ZOOM or others) to host more than 100 participants and able to have breakout rooms.
- Printing of posters, brochures, leaflets, at least 3 roll-ups, giveaways.
- Shuttle for invited speakers from the hotel and to the venue.
5. Proposal submission
Proponents are invited to use the provided form to make their proposals. The proposals should be submitted by email to: TSC_2023@emso-eu.org in pdf format. A notification of reception by EMSO ERIC will automatically be sent to the applicants.
Download the Submission form here
1 Here are the links to the 4 previous TSCs:
- “Time-series analysis” focusing on environmental science and applications to climate change, with a particular focus on atmospheric composition and time-series measurements, 28th January-1st February 2019, Tromsø, Norway, https://www.actris.eu/Events/Eventsdescriptions/TS3_2019.aspx
- “Time-series analysis in environmental science and applications to climate change” 8-11th November 2016, Tromsø, Norway, http://www.fixo3.eu/events/time-series-analysis-in-environmental-science-and- applications-to-climate-change/
- “Time-series analysis in marine science and applications for the industry”, 17-21st September 2012, Brest, France, http://wwz.ifremer.fr/rd_technologiques/Projets/Time-series-analysis/Conference-2012
- EMSO Time Series Conference 2021 “Observing ocean sound”, 20-22 October 2021, Gran Canaria+Virtual, https://tsc2021.emso.eu